Sunday, September 21, 2008

Family trees

The school year is winding down at Colegio Shalom. Here in Guatemala, classes end the first week of October and exams are the second week. That leaves just a few weeks left of school. In my high school classes, I'm currently teaching family-related vocabulary to the students. It is a subject they are interested in, but it's also touchy because many of the students from the orphanage don't have a family, or at best, it's a very broken family. So, I have to modify my in-class exercises. For example, in the photos below, my freshman students create family trees. Instead of using their own family, however, they had to create a fictional family, including grandparents, children, grandchildren, aunts and uncles, cousins, etc. The students enjoyed the chance to be creative - when done, we decorated the classroom with their family trees.




No comments: